HP Wants to Rent You a Printer That It Monitors at All Times
Internetado
2024-03-02 23:10:45 UTC
HP's "All-In Plan" requires a constant internet connection so that the
company can see not just how many pages you're printing, but what file
types. It costs up to $36 per month.

[s]
Internetado.
-- I wish I REALLY knew what I was doing.
Nuno Silva
2024-03-03 09:50:22 UTC
Post by Internetado
HP's "All-In Plan" requires a constant internet connection so that the
company can see not just how many pages you're printing, but what file
types. It costs up to $36 per month.
This has been making the rounds on fediverse (or at least on Mastodon?)
for a while now - I guess HP is trying really hard to kill their printer
business. Which, a looong time ago, might have been something they
didn't suck at?

Now is this going to happen only with inkjet or with their laser
printers too?

Even without this, I'd discourage getting inkjet printers sold by
HP. I've twice seen such printers rendered useless or harder to use by
brittle materials.

With this pricing, HP printers might also be more expensive for those
who have a cheaper printing service available nearby. Might depend on
whether one wants to print often in color, though.

Also, what about when the copyright cartels get hold of this and start
requiring that HP inflates prices with payments purportedly to
"compensate for printing protected works". Or have they already done
that?
Nuno Silva
Andreas Kohlbach
2024-03-04 02:53:02 UTC
Post by Nuno Silva
Post by Internetado
HP's "All-In Plan" requires a constant internet connection so that the
company can see not just how many pages you're printing, but what file
types. It costs up to $36 per month.
This has been making the rounds on fediverse (or at least on Mastodon?)
for a while now - I guess HP is trying really hard to kill their printer
business. Which, a looong time ago, might have been something they
didn't suck at?
Now is this going to happen only with inkjet or with their laser
printers too?
You [agree to] *rent* a printer and ink.

Quote:

| HP launched a subscription service Thursday that rents people a
| printer, allots them a specific amount of printed pages, and sends
| them ink for a monthly fee. HP is framing its service as a way to
| simplify printing for families and small businesses, but the deal
| also comes with monitoring and a years-long commitment.

Fine with me.
Andreas
Arthur Conan Doyle
2024-03-04 18:59:12 UTC
Post by Andreas Kohlbach
| HP launched a subscription service Thursday that rents people a
| printer, allots them a specific amount of printed pages, and sends
| them ink for a monthly fee. HP is framing its service as a way to
| simplify printing for families and small businesses, but the deal
| also comes with monitoring and a years-long commitment.
Fine with me.
It's no different that most small business arrangements for photocopiers these
days. They pay a local office machine company by the sheet for every copy made
with certain usage minimums. Buying the machine outright is too expensive for
most.

Usenet: The world's first (and best) social network.
Jeff Jonas
2024-03-13 18:00:47 UTC
Post by Arthur Conan Doyle
| HP launched a subscription service Thursday that rents people a printer
It's no different that most small business arrangements for photocopiers
1) I believe the photocopier leasing/rental includes service.
Will HP dispatch technicians to repair a leased printer?

2) I believe Xerox's original arrangement was pay per page
not a rental or ownership since businesses
grossly underestimated the copy count.
Xerox made a bundle that way.